For the past 32 years, EA scientists have been involved in the design, refinement, and validation of the promulgated U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) methodologies. Our WET testing services include the following:
- Acute toxicity tests (static, renewal, and continuous-flow) with fish, amphibians, invertebrates, and plants
- Short-term chronic toxicity tests with fish and invertebrates
- Full life cycle (chronic) studies with fish, Daphnia, Ceriodaphnia, and Americamysis species
- Algal growth inhibition studies
- Effluent treatability studies
- Toxicity assessment of stormwater discharges.
Principal Whole Effluent Toxicity Testing Methods
EPA-821-R-02-012 Methods for Measuring Acute Toxicity of Effluents and Receiving Waters to Freshwater and Marine Organisms (5th Edition); October 2002
- Ceriodaphnia dubia – Method No. 2002.0
- Daphnia magna and Daphnia pulex – Method No. 2021.0
- Pimephales promelas (Fathead minnow) – Method No. 2000.0
- Americamysis bahia – Method No. 2007.0
- Menidia beryllina – Method No. 2006.0
- Cyprinodon variegatus – Method No. 2004.0
- Oncorhynchus mykiss – Method No. 2019.0.
EPA-821-R-02-013 Short-Term Methods for Estimating the Chronic Toxicity of Effluents and Receiving Water to Freshwater Organisms (4th Edition); October 2002
- Fathead minnow, Pimephales promelas, Larval Survival and Growth Test, Method No. 1000.0
- Daphnid, Ceriodaphnia dubia, Survival and Reproduction Test, Method No. 1002.0
- Green alga, Selenastrum capricornutum, growth, Method No. 1003.0.
EPA-821-R-02-014 Short-Term Methods for Estimating the Chronic Toxicity of Effluents and Receiving Water to Marine and Estuarine Organisms (3rd Edition); October 2002
- Inland silverside, Menidia beryllina (Larval Survival and Growth Test) – Method No. 1006.0
- Mysid, Americamysis bahia (Survival, Growth, and Fecundity Test) – Method No. 1007.0
- Sheepshead minnow, Cyprinodon variegates (Larval Survival and Growth Test) – Method No. 1004.0
- Sea urchin, Arbacia punctulata (Fertilization) – Method No. 1008.0.
EPA-600-R-95-136 Short-Term Methods for Estimating the Chronic Toxicity of Effluents and Receiving Waters to West Coast Marine and Estuarine Organisms; August 1995
- Atherinops affinis (topsmelt) (Survival and Growth) – Method No. 1006.0
- Holmesimysis costata (Survival and Growth) – Method No. 1007.0
- Mytilus sp. (mussel) (Shell Development) – Method No. 1008.0
- Strongylocentrotus sp. (Urchin) (Fertilization) – Method No. 1008.0.