EA is the primary wastewater consultant to a Fortune 500 Company with over 50 manufacturing facilities world-wide for household, health, and personal care products. EA’s industrial wastewater experts have provided planning, design, construction, startup, and operations from Topeka to Thailand for the company since 1999. Our engineers/scientists provide valuable expertise in managing the ever-changing product mix while maintaining the company’s strict safety and environmental standards. Currently, EA provides the following services:
- Wastewater experts on “water use/wastewater load” audit team for major household care product manufacturing facility in Ohio. The audit team included 20 professionals from several facilities across the company’s manufacturing base.
- Design of the onsite industrial wastewater treatment system to treat up to 125,000 gpd of concentrated wastewater (37,500 mg/L chemical oxygen demand). The proposed wastewater treatment plant consists of a 500-gpm suction lift pump station, screening, moving bed bioreactor, clarification, filtration, aerobic digesters, and centrifuge sludge dewatering. The plant includes chemical addition systems for caustic soda, sulfuric acid, polyaluminum chloride, anionic polymer, cationic polymer, and nutrients. The moving bed bioreactor will operate as two independent trains with three stages in each train. The wastewater treatment plant will be fully automated requiring only one shift per day of operation. The wastewater building will be a 100– x 55–foot metal building on a fully contained concrete slab. The wastewater treatment plant site will require substantial geotechnical foundation to overcome poor soil conditions.
- Evaluation of the effect of proposed change in “cleaning and sanitization” chemicals on the industrial wastewater treatment system. The evaluation included projecting the concentration of the new chemicals in the wastewater and developing realistic jar tests to evaluate the impact of the chemicals on the wastewater treatment plant. Specific issues evaluated included precipitation/clarification and chemical consumption.
- Design of the sludge feed system to improve sludge dewatering in an existing centrifuge. The project included adding a cationic polymer makeup system, a sludge conditioning tank, sludge pumping, and a control system.
- Development of concepts for wastewater equalization at a toothpaste manufacturing facility. The company authorized design work and construction should begin in the third quarter of 2019.
- Provision of construction phase engineering services including contractor submittal reviews, periodic construction inspections, start-up services, operations and maintenance manual development and operator training for an expansion of an existing wastewater facility in Colombia. The expansion was designed by the members of the Industrial Wastewater Group and includes influent pumping, chemical precipitation, dissolved air flotation (after precipitation), moving bed bioreactor, dissolved air flotation (after moving bed bioreactor), and filtration. The plant includes flow, dissolved oxygen, pH, and conductivity monitoring.
- Evaluation of the impact of new “cleaning and sanitization” chemicals on an industrial biological wastewater treatment facility in a plant located in Brazil. The evaluation included projecting reasonable “worst case” concentrations of the new chemicals in the biological system. The new chemicals were evaluated in laboratory biological treatment cells. Laboratory results were confirmed in the field by EA engineers.
- Design of an upgrade to an industrial wastewater treatment facility to serve a pet food production facility in Kansas. The project included evaluating current and future hydraulic loads. Design included influent pumping, screening, equalization, dissolved air flotation rehabilitation, improving sludge dewatering, increasing hydraulic/load capacity, improving automation and replacing/expanding the wastewater treatment plant building.
- Evaluation of the source/origin of absorbable organic halides in a bleach and fabric softener manufacturing facility located in the European Union. This project includes developing sampling programs, reviewing existing documentation and a site visit.