President, CEO, and Chair
Ian MacFarlane is the President, CEO, and Chair of EA Engineering, Science, and Technology, Inc., PBC, a U.S. mid-sized environmental consulting services firm serving a wide range of clients in both the government and private sectors with 26 commercial offices nationwide, more than 575 employees, and annual revenues of approximately $150M. Ian has been with EA for over 35 years, working his way up the ranks to his CEO appointment in 2006, representing the second generation of leadership since the firm’s founding in 1973. He led EA, once a public company, through an ownership transition in 2005 from its founder to employee ownership by an ESOP and management investors. Further, in 2014, he led EA’s ownership conversion to 100% ESOP and adoption as a Public Benefit Corporation under Delaware corporate law. Mr. MacFarlane has a bachelor’s degree in geology from Denison University and a master’s degree in management of technology from the University of Pennsylvania (School of Engineering & Wharton).
Principal Volunteer & Philanthropic Activities
- Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership: board member 2017-present; current treasurer and chair of the Stewardship and Sustainability Committee.
- Johns Hopkins University, Department of Environmental Health and Engineering: Department Advisory Board 2012-present, chair 2018-present.
- Water For People (nonprofit dedicated to global water supply and sanitation): Leadership Council (water industry executives advisory group) member 2016-present, chair 2018-2019.
- Maryland Higher Education Commission (a Maryland State agency): gubernatorial appointment as a Commissioner (board member) 2012-2020, chair 2020.
- Roland Park community (a historic community in Baltimore City): association board member for 12 years, president for two years ending in 2018 & finance committee 2018-present; board member of the community foundation 2018-present.
- Academy of Management,
- Water Environment Federation,
- Society of American Military Engineers,
- America Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Active with The ESOP Association (TEA), the Employee-Owned SCorporations of America (ESCA), the National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO), and Rutgers’ annual Beyster Symposium & Kelso Workshop (academic employee ownership).