COVID-19 disrupted the national economy, sickened millions, and killed hundreds of thousands. States, cities, and facilities struggle to manage COVID-19 risk through community engagement, rules/regulations, and trending individual clinical testing. EA offers an indirect method to detect COVID-19 in a community—from large cities to military installations to schools or individual long-term care facilities.
Monitoring SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID‑19, in wastewater provides early warning; data independent from clinical tests; detection of non-symptomatic cases; COVID-19 trend analysis (increasing/decreasing incidents of infection); and, most significantly, a non-invasive community-wide “COVID test” to assist disease mitigation.
EA provides the following services to enable SARS-CoV-2 wastewater sampling and analysis:
- Health and Safety Plans for sampling
- Sampling Plans, including location of proper sampling points
- “How To Sample” training to client personnel
- Confined space entry
- Sampling for intermittent, low-flow facilities (e.g., long-term care, schools, etc.)
- Laboratory services procurement
- Sampling equipment (composite samplers or grab sampling)
- Management of large sampling efforts for multiple locations (sequential or concurrent)
- Laboratory report conversion to EQuISTM environmental data management files
- Data interpretation and management
- Data quality assurance/quality control
- Data dashboards, including trending
- Development of response plans in the event of positive tests.
EA maintains a network of partner quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR) analytical laboratories—the type of analytical laboratories that can test for SARS-CoV-2 detection. Our strong relations with these laboratories ensure timely service from quality laboratories.
Case Study—EA developed a COVID-19 sampling plan, trained wastewater operators, procured laboratory services, interpreted laboratory reports, and managed data for a 370-student boarding school in New England for SARS-CoV-2 detection. Our team assisted the school when the virus was detected in the wastewater by expediting laboratory work and providing technical interpretation of the RT-qPCR results.
We also provides sampling services for a large sewer authority on the East Coast for SARS-CoV-2 detection.
EA deploys its engineers, scientists, and field technicians across the United States and Guam. These experienced individuals provide rapid response for COVID-19 wastewater sampling services.
For further details or questions, please contact Kelly Whalen.
Office LocationsView Map
Anchorage, AK 99501
Fairbanks, AK 99701
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Sacramento, CA 95825
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Warner Robins, GA 31088-9199
Hunt Valley, MD 21031
Ecotoxicology & Biology Labs
Hunt Valley, MD 21031
Abingdon, MD 21009
Ocean Pines, MD 21811
Brighton, Michigan 48116
Helena, MT 59601
Lincoln, NE 68528
Omaha, NE 68114
Albuquerque, NM 87102
25 Western Avenue, 2nd Floor
Marlboro, NY 12542
Oswego, NY 13126
Syracuse, NY 13202
Warwick, RI 02886-3440
Building C, Suite 100
Lewisville, TX 75067
Cypress, TX 77429
San Antonio, TX 78232
Virginia Beach, VA 23462